Saturday, September 19, 2009

9/19

Tri class this morning. Was looking forward to it, since it would be my very first time trial in the pool. Believe it or not, I've NEVER been timed doing a 50 freestyle as hard as I could go. I guess unless you're on a swim team, you'd have no reason to, right? Anyway, I was looking forward to it since I missed last Saturdays class (and time trial) due to work.

We started off with the regular warmups and drills. After a little bit, it was time for the time trial. I ended up swimming as hard as I could, which is totally different for 50 than for any other training I've done. I usually breathe every 2 strokes, but for the 50 it was something like every 4. I don't even remember, I just remember going all out. We started out in the water (not diving in), and my time was 30.5 seconds. Since I have nothing to go on, I'm assuming that this is a good starting point, and I look forward to lowering that to under 30.

I'm feeling good about the swim training. I'm learning a lot, and these drills that I had my doubts about at first seem to be paying off. I've been listening to every tip Nick has given me, and I'm doing my best to follow his instructions to the "T". Since I've seen an improvement already, I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do in the pool with the time that I have before my race.

We followed up our 1:15:00 swim training with a 45:00 session on spin bikes, followed by a 15:00 run. I'm completely spent...I took a nap...and I'm thinking that I'm going to be useless on Saturdays for a while. It will all be worth it in July....


Tri class. 1:15:00 swim; 50yd time trial (30.5 seconds), intervals, drills, etc.
45:00 spin
15:00 run

No comments:

Post a Comment